Rome can be reached through many air routes. Most scheduled airlines have daily flights to Rome. Several airlines offer promotional fares to Rome. Train connections from the European cities are also very good. If you plan travelling in Europe, Rome is a very convenient base since any other European city can be easily reached within an hour or two by air.
- Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (Fiumicino) has daily connections with every major city of Europe.
- Ciampino International Airport has connections with many low-cost Airlines.
Rome has rail connections with every major city in Italy and the rest of Europe. The main railway station (Termini) is placed in the center of Rome. For further details visit the Trainline website.
The Way to Rome
From Fiumicino Airport
- Ferrovie dello Stato (FS) sets up two connections to reach the international airport of Fiumicino:
- A direct connection with Termini Central Train Station. The Rome-Fiumicino service Leonardo Express departing from the Fiumicino Airport (every 15 minutes) takes about 30 minutes to reach Termini Central Train Station without intermediate stops. The fare is 14.00 euros.
- As an alternative it is possible to take Sabina-Fiumicino line (FR1) which stops in some of the main Rome railway stations (Tiburtina, Tuscolana, Ostiense, Trastevere) usually every 15 minutes, and on holidays, every 30 minutes. The cost is 8 euros. To check the times, visit the FS
In correspondence of the Terminals of Fiumicino Airport it is available a taxi service to Rome. The cost of the service is 40 euro, baggage included, for a maximum of four passengers, for all the destinations inside the Mura Aureliane which delimitate the central area of the city. The journey time is about 1 hour.The cost for the service is the same for the opposite way, from Rome to Fiumicino.For further information contact P.I.T, the Tourist Information Point of Rome, inside the airport, which supplies information on the service, by checking if the destination requested is the destination subject to the fix rate. For different destinations, the cost will be indicated by the taximeter on each taxi, to which the baggage fee shall be added.
The cars for the taxi service of the City of Rome are white and can be recognized by the sign “TAXI” on the top and by the identifying licence number on the doors, on the back and inside the car.
From Ciampino Airport
- Daily connections between the airport and Termini Central Train Station are guaranteed by the bus services operated by ATRAL , COTRAL , SIT and TERRAVISION . The buses are parked in dedicated bus bays opposite International Departures.
- Schiaffini Travel operates a bus service between Rome Ciampino airport and Rome Fiumicino airport. Travel time is approximately 45 minutes with no intermediate stops.
While in Rome
The metro has three lines (A, B-B1, C) and is in service between 5:30 until 23:30. The 100-Minute-Ticket (BIT) costs 1.50 euros and it can be used for up to 100 minutes on all ATAC buses and trams, for one trip on metro lines A and B and for one trip on any metro-type FS train (2nd class).